Re: How do you handle knowing "It Could Be Better"?

Subject: Re: How do you handle knowing "It Could Be Better"?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:02:17 -0700 (PDT)

John,

I feel your pain. Between you and me (and 5,000 of our closest colleagues <g>), I've
never written ANYTHING that I was truly satisfied with. One more draft will always
make it better. Two more weeks will always improve the information. Right after a
release I've always gotten some information that made a big difference.

You can always know more and do a better job and understand the application better.
As far as I'm concerned a good writer, technical or otherwise, is never fully
satisfied with the output. I used to refer to my seminar papers in college as
vampire papers because I would always have to drive a stake through their hearts (or
mine) and turn them in.

Despite the grief I got on this list the last time I said this, I'll say it again.
Every project has three components: quality, cost, speed. You can have any two at
the sacrifice of the third.

John, you're doing the best you can on this project. It'll never be good enough to
satisfy you. That's good, provided you don't obsess about it, okay?

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 08/30/02
--"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." Mahatma Gandhi(http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mahatma_Gandhi)--

http://faith.yahoo.com

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com