RE: What do you ask the interviewer?

Subject: RE: What do you ask the interviewer?
From: "Richardson, Leigh" <Leigh -dot- Richardson -at- mirant -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:57:26 -0400

>From Bruce:

The recent discussions of resumes has me thinking about another aspect
of the job-hunt.

The question: what do people ask interviewers to help them decide
whether they're interested in the job? To enhance themselves in the eyes
of the interviewers? For some other reasons?

Here's a list of sample questions that I go by, but usually the first question I ask is "What is expected of me in the first 6 months?", or "What do you want me to accomplish in the first 6 months?"

1. What are the company's strengths and weaknesses compared to its competition?
2. How important does upper management consider the function of this department/position?
3. What is the organization's plan for the next five years, and how does this department fit in?
4. Could you explain your organizational structure?
5. How will my leadership responsibilities and performance be measured? By whom?
6. What are the day-to-day responsibilities of this job?
7. Could you describe your company's management style and the type of employee who fits well with it?
8. What are some of the skills and abilities necessary for someone to succeed in this job?
9. What is the company's policy on providing seminars, workshops, and training so employees can keep up their skills or acquire new ones?
10. What particular computer equipment and software do you use?
11. What kind of work can I expect to be doing the first year?
12. What percentage of routine, detailed work will I encounter?
13. How much opportunity is there to see the end result of my efforts?
14. Who will review my performance? How often? What is my performance based on?
15. How much guidance or assistance is made available to individuals in developing career goals?
16. How much opportunity will I have for decision-making in my first assignment?
17. Can you describe an ideal employee?

I have all sorts of handouts regarding the job hunt at http://www.leighrichardson.com
Click on "Presentations."
You're all welcome to browse and take what you need.

Leigh Richardson
Senior Technical Writer
Mirant Corporation
1155 Perimeter Center West
Atlanta, Georgia 30338
leigh -dot- richardson -at- mirant -dot- com
T 678-579-6422
M 404-375-7982

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com