Re: Yahoo has no staff tech writers

Subject: Re: Yahoo has no staff tech writers
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- ae -dot- ge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:11:54 -0400

Bonnie Granat said:

>Because grammar exists only to support the communication of intended
>meaning, I can't conceive of something being "technically accurate" and
>ungrammatical.

You should take a look at "simplified English" in use in the aerospace
industry. Specifically, the "AECMA Simplified English" document
PSC-85-16598, from the European Association of Aerospace Industries. (As
nearly as I am able to tell, this association is composed of seven European
aerospace companies, and only one of the seven is based in a country where
English is the mother tongue.)

The document specifies certain language that must be used, and
unfortunately...it's not always proper English grammar. For example, in
Simplified English, "Be sure to check the oil" isn't accepted, the sentence
must be written as "Make sure and check the oil."

That's not an option. They're very specific about it. We have to write it
like that. (Or, in simplified English, "We must make sure and write it like
that.")

But the thing is...much as it pains me to write like that, and much as it
pains me to admit this...apparently the users prefer it that way, and they
all understand what is meant. The users are checking the oil, inspecting the
parts, and drilling the holes just as they're supposed to.

Bad grammar, but technically accurate. I don't much care for it, but it's
what the customers want.

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed Martin
Saugus, MA

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com