Re: Resume citation for ex-companies

Subject: Re: Resume citation for ex-companies
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:50:04 -0700

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

I'm not sure yours is really a good example...

In today's economic climate, companies will find any excuse to cull out applicants, even if it is just because they don't recognize the company name.

That's exactly my point. I admit that you can't make your resume completely idiot-proof, and I don't think you should distress yourself by trying. However, that's not to say that you shouldn't be fine-tuning your resume regularly.

This is the way that I look at it:

When a job is advertised, people have to wade through dozens - even hundreds - of resumes. If you can make their job easier, then they just might think more kindly of your application; this is the same idea that's behind the T-letter.

Yes, the resume-sifters may not check your previous jobs until after you've been short-listed. Yes, they may be well-enough informed to know about local company name changes. But, given their work load, counting on the memories of even experienced HR personnel may not be the best idea.And, in fact, many HR personnel these days are far from experienced, especially those making the first cuts.

If a minor addition or revision, such as adding a company's new name in parentheses can reduce the chances of misunderstanding and can be done quickly, why not do it? The chances of hurting your application are minimal, you've invested very little, and you may helped yourself.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I had a dream and I gave it a name
The name that I gave it was your name.
- Sam Larkin, "Mirabeau Bridge"

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com