Re: Big bucks in tech writing

Subject: Re: Big bucks in tech writing
From: Jeff Hanvey <jeff -at- jewahe -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:01:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:
>How many people are content with being a technical writer? Do people see
>themselves as being tech-writers for the rest of their working lives? Or
>do they hope to move into another field or into management? If they do
>plan to move away from technical writing, what do they plan to do next?
>Ultimately?

I see myself remaining in the writing arena. I'd eventually like to be a documentation manager or something similar. I'm not terribly ambitious: I just want enough money to live a comfortable life.

I was told once that I was too old to really work up the corporate ladder (I'm 31 now). The person who told me this reasoned that by 30, most people are well into their career. Since I didn't get started until late (I was 28 before I graduated grad school and figured out I wanted to be a tech writer), it would be harder to get ahead in the business.

Right now, I'm content just being a peon writer. That could change, but I don't think so...

Jeff

Jeff Hanvey: http://www.jewahe.net

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com