The best solution...?

Subject: The best solution...?
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:31:29 -0500

Hi there! I work at a large state university, and help prepare documents for our users (the 25,000 or so students who range from freshmen to post-graduate and professional). These include documents to connect to our network from campus residence halls, from wireless access points in our libraries, or from a home off campus, as well as documenting some homegrown software and providing quick starter information for software installed on our networks. Up until now, we've provided printed copies for students, as well as pdf files. We have some very vanilla html files for ADA and New York State disability guidelines, but, to be perfectly frank, they're ugly but serviceable. We've been told to switch to a mostly online format by Summer 2003. We'd been toying with re-creating our info in HTML with CSS. Then I went off to SIGDOC and won RoboHelp Enterprise X3. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, I'm wondering if it's going to work well for what I need. Most of our documents fit on a single sheet of paper -- they've been designed for print in a minimal amount of space to save trees and money. Our longest documents are under 40 pages. Another catch is that we may need to provide printed versions of some of our documents on an as-needed basis to professors for use in classes.

We've currently got documents in Office XP, FrameMaker 6 for UNIX (don't ask), a lovely WebWorks Publisher piece that I can't convince our UNIX group to find time to install (It's been almost a year and a half, again DON'T ASK), and a copy of PageMaker 7. (Hey, at least I got rid of the nroff and TeX.) I've got Dreamweaver sitting on my machine as well, if that inspires anyone.

And if RoboHelp doesn't work for what I need to do at work, should I just bring the box back home, install it there, freelance on the side, and save up for that dream car (or, right now, the insulation I need up in the attic)?

Is there a better idea that I'm missing?

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com