Re: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: Re: STC Letter to the Editor
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:00:11 -0500

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

>Andrew Plato wrote:
>
>> This is why STC competitions are utterly worthless. The judges are selecting
>> winners based on superficial aspects like design and layout.

>As you can probably guess from my past posts,I wouldn't call design and
>layout superficial aspects. However, I agree that if an award is given
>on this basis, then its criteria ought to be clearly identified in the
>title of the award.

And Dick adds:

The American Institute of Graphic Arts is the place to submit work if you want a design award. Their competitions are prestigious, national, and well funded. And they don't give a damn about the accuracy, utility, or intelligent organization of the content.

I should hope that STC judges consider those aspects above prettiness of design. If they don't, then shame on them!

Nonetheless, basic design competence and an understanding of readability have a bearing on the utility of a document. It shouldn't matter if all entries in a tech publication contest happen to have been poured into the same template that came with the publishing or word processing program. It isn't a question of whether the author is a great artist, just whether the author selected an appropriate format for presenting the information.

Some readers--Andrew, for example--are not particularly sensitive to presentation issues. Wall-to-wall Courier with quarter-inch margins and no paragraph breaks is apparently okay as long as the facts are correct. Other readers get more out of a document if readability issues are considered. That's okay; it's what makes chocolate and vanilla. I think (in agreement with Bruce) that judges ought to be cognizant of that dimension and give it as much weight as their guidelines suggest.

But I am 100% in agreement that if an award is advertised as being for technical documentation, then the quality of the technical content should be the most important aspect.

IMHO, IANAL, IANAJ, IANASTCM, YMMV, etc.,

Dick

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com