Re: Oops, Is That Your EULA?

Subject: Re: Oops, Is That Your EULA?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:01:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com> wrote:

> Yes. It's always evil to prey on the innocent. How could you ever think
> otherwise?

Innocent? On THIS list? So far, all of the people who have commented on the
"Greeting Card" are regular posters to this list. None of them strike me as
particularly innocent.

How could I think I was preyed upon if, because I was too lazy to read a contract
that I have plenty of time to read and as a result downloaded a program to my
computer that DID EXACTLY WHAT IT SAID IT WOULD DO.

If I had done what some others seem to have done, I would have chided myself for
being stupid not berated someone else for taking advantage of my innocence, which I
think I lost more than 30 years ago.

> If an elderly person allows a false utility repairman into his house and
> is then robbed, isn't that evil? How about if the robber said quickly in
> the middle of a false cover story "andI'mgoingtorobyoualso"? You're
> saying that full disclosure keeps it from being evil?

IF I had been fast-talked into signing a contract, I would feel victimized. The
EULA, which we all really should read in every case (and, no, I don't either), is
not time-limited. I am not forced to accept it. No one is standing over me with a
weapon to persuade me to click "Accept."

I could not in good conscience blame anyone else for loading that virus or worm or
whatever you call it when I accepted the EULA clear terms because I was too lazy to
read it.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 10/28/02
--First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.
Thomas a Kempis (1380 - 1471), 1420--

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com