Re:Technical Writing certificate programs - Boston area

Subject: Re:Technical Writing certificate programs - Boston area
From: Kelly Smith <ksmith -at- triton -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:56:47 -0800

Hi Allen,
I recently completed the Tech Writer Certificate program through Northeastern's online classes. I really enjoyed it. The format was similar to other online classes,
with assignments being emailed to the professor, or posted to a secure website. There was a lot of online interaction between classmates (which was a requirement
for the classes).

Of the four classes I had to take, I enjoyed the Tech Writing Intensive, and the Technical Editing classes the best. I also took the Computer Software Technical
Writing and HTML classes. If you know any HTML, you'd be better off taking the Java or VB class, I think, as the HTML class was extremely basic. (I was taking
vacation during the class and wanted something I could easily work ahead in.) ;)

In the Tech Writing Intensive class, we got to choose a topic and create our own procedures manual from scratch. I found that to be very exciting, and the
professor actually asked to use my manual in future classes. I don't know if she's still doing that or not, but as a relative beginner, it made me feel great. In that
class we also did peer reviews of one another's work. If you've never been through that process, it can be difficult. Most of my classmates offered useful,
constructive advice, although there was one that just did not seem to understand the concept.

The editing class was the most helpful of all, and it has allowed me to become a much better writer than I was previously.

I've never taken the other class you mention (at U of M), but I hope this review was helpful. If you want to discuss it offline, feel free to email me.

Kelly Smith

>Subject: Technical Writing certificate programs - Boston area
>From: adpratt -at- aol -dot- com
>Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:30:59 -0500
>
>I plan to enroll in courses toward a Technical Writing certificate at either Northeastern University (via their online program) or the University of Massachusetts in
Lowell.

>Any thoughts on either program, and on how the two programs compare?
>
>Thank you,
>Allen Pratt

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com