RE: Product Help vs. Application Help

Subject: RE: Product Help vs. Application Help
From: "Mike Bradley" <mbradley -at- techpubs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:06:28 -0800

> Surely not all software products are applications (a language
> or a protocol or an operating system could be a product that
> is not an application), but I think that all applications are
> products in that they are creations that are definable in scope
> and transferrable from a creator to a user.

Huh? I thought this response was on the right track, but the last
sentence has me befuddled.

> Anyway, if someone asked me in an interview "what is the
> difference between creating help for a software product
> and creating help for a software application (project)?"
> I would suspect that the interviewer was too deeply wrapped
> up in one company's specialized vocabulary and had not
> breathed fresh air in a while.

Boy, you said it. Still, there is a material difference between
applications and other software products. I'm not sure of the precise
engineering definition, but it's in the vicinity of only applications
can be executed, whereas all other products cannot.

= Mike Bradley
Tech Pubs

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com