RE: Anyone ever heard of this book or program]

Subject: RE: Anyone ever heard of this book or program]
From: "Mike Bradley" <mbradley -at- techpubs -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:34:42 -0800

> As a 1 person indie, my time is taken up w/ 1) marketing 2)
> obtaining contracts
> 3) doing the work as it comes in 4) following up w/clients to
> ensure their satisfaction 5) tracking revenue -- making
> deposits of payments, performing collections, etc. 6)
> monitoring expenses 7) purchasing equipment/software to be
> competitive 8) taking classes to keep my skills current
> 9)whatever else needs to be done to keep the business viable.

This brings to mind another issue in self-employment: do clients in your
area generally hire contractors directly or do they hire through
agencies, so that you would be working for the agencies? If the latter,
will you work for the agencies as a 1099 contractor (self-employment
taxes, business deductions, self-funded retirement plan, and so forth)
or as a temp employee (employee taxes, no deductions, probably no
retirement plan other an IRA)?

Who you'll work for has tremendous impact on your potential income. For
instance, if you can contract directly with the clients, you'll be able
to bill anywhere from 20 to 50 percent more for your time than if you
work for the agencies.

= Mike Bradley
Tech Pubs

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com