Re: Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more important than style)

Subject: Re: Remember secretaries? (was RE: Proof that content is more important than style)
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:23:54 -0500

On 11/19/2002 7:06 PM, Anita Legsdin (anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com) wrote:

>If content were king, then we all might as well go apply to MacDonald's
>or Wendy's, and let the programmers rite there owne book's.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but I know some programmers who are
excellent writers, as well as being very good at software development.
The biggest reason for not letting programmers write the manuals is that
coding is worth more to their companies than writing.

It's not necessary to bring someone else down (those darn programmers
can't write!) to build ourselves up. Technical writing is important (and
my source of income), but to every software or hardware company I've ever
encountered, programming is worth more money.

So content or style may be king, but whether programmers can write has
nothing to do with it.

Mike

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com