RE: Printing a booklet with Word 2002

Subject: RE: Printing a booklet with Word 2002
From: "Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:16:19 -0500

I have to admit that I couldn't figure out Word's booklet feature, either,
and I was in a hurry (as usual) and not my usual "patient" self! <LOL>

Some things you might find useful, from the days when I worked in the sewing
room of a book bindery. (And yes, I can still hand-sew a book if I have to.)

Remember that it's not just the way you refeed the printed pages. It may be
the order in which they're set up.

Take some scrap paper. Make up a dummy booklet, noting on each side of each
page what content and page number you want. If you quarter-fold a single
sheet of paper for each "signature" of the dummy, you'll be able to see what
has to go on the back of what.

Using your dummy as a guide, set up a landscape page with two panels. Cut
and paste the text you need onto each of the panels. This is a pain, I know.
In Frame, you can set up a text flow that will automatically continue
columns to another page, but I don't know how to do this in Word. Maybe some
of the Word gurus out there can help.

Once I had one page laid out, I did the page that should be on the back of
it, again using the dummy as a guide. That way, I kept them together.

You'll probably need to assign page numbers separately, using the dummy,
instead of letting Word assign them for you. Do all this for the entire
book.

Now here's where you can get tricky. Either you can print all the pages for
one side, reverse the order of pages and flip the pages so they print
correctly, then print all the pages for the other side - or - you can take
the pages in the front/back order described above and go to a good copy shop
and have them make 2-sided copies, saddle stitched.

In either case, as Keith Cronin recommended, DO A TEST WITH A COUPLE OF
PAGES FIRST!!! [Yes, I'm shouting.] Not only will it save you money and
aggravation, you'll learn something about laying out the page.

If you want it hand sewn, it'll cost ya!<gdr>

Marguerite

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com