RE: Virgin at Cross Referencing, have never "Xref'd"

Subject: RE: Virgin at Cross Referencing, have never "Xref'd"
From: "Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:53:31 -0500

You're wise to try to plan this out ahead of time.

IMHO, it's easier to do this in Frame than Word [PLEASE no tool wars!], but
you CAN do it in either one, depending on how you build your book. You
omitted which tool you're using, so I'm offering a generic answer with just
a touch of toolsmithing. In either case, RTFM as preparation.

In Frame, set up your cross-reference to include the variables
chapter-number and figure-number - and page, if you want that (or whatever
your template calls them. The manual is pretty good on this. Pay attention
to the details to make this work. You may need to have open both the file
ontaining the cross-ref and the file to which you're making the reference
(that is, containing the marker). I don't know how you're doing your xrefs
(paragraphs or markers), but I prefer using markers myself.

After you build and save your book, you may need to change something, so
that the figure numbers change, too. Then all you have to do is update the
xrefs, and you can do this at the chapter level (if that's where the
reference is to) or at the book level (to update all the refs in the book).

In Word, I'd suggest looking into the RD (Referenced Document) feature.
Again, a pretty good description in the help. Pay attention to the details
and do EXACTLY what it says, but don't make it any more complicated than it
is.

In neither case is it completely "automatic". You have to tell it what to
do. But at least you do have control here. I know this is very general, but
it may at least give you someplace to look.

Good luck!
Marguerite

> Overview:
> 300 page system manual with
> Basic TOC (simply chap. name & no.)
> Appendices
> Glossary
> Many figures and tables in each of 23 chapters with text references to
> figure or table 12-2 or 13-8 whatever.
> Change page at beginning delineating pages with changes since last
> printing.
> Nowhere does it say see such-and-such on page X, I only say "as fig. 14-9
> shows" or "see table 19-12" etc.
>
> Would one goal be, that if the figure numbers change (added or deleted
> figures) then the text reference automatically reflects this?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com