RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights

Subject: RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 05:19:26 -0500

Yes, it's a good idea to know what the problems are that this software
solves, and what the specific tasks are that it enables its users to do.
Beyond that, you are writing a white paper, not a user guide or
technical document.

> The hacks cutting the code may
> have little idea about *why* they are doing what
> they've been asked to do, but *someone* in the
> organization knows the use cases that the product
> is supposed to solve.

Well-written use cases are a beautiful thing.

> Those are the people who
> can teach you about the users. These may be in
> engineering, or in sales, or in the CEOs office. But
> you can bet that the owners of the business are
> not spending money on development without some
> idea of who their customers are and what business
> needs the product is supposed to satisfy.

Er, you might be surprised. <g>

However, disappointment in this area should not prevent you from setting
things right by writing docs that enable users to get value from the
software. I like the idea of thin, practical docs that address ONLY what
the user needs to know to use the software. Keep the sentences short,
the procedures direct, and the focus on providing the user with
direction that helps, not educates or fascinates. :-) Unless you're
Michael Crichton or Nelson DeMille. :-)

Tom

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com