RE: doc'ing the docs

Subject: RE: doc'ing the docs
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:49:39 -0500

Sean Brierley pointed out:

> Yes. Every documentation project I've worked on has had to
> satisfy one or more bosses.
>
> Technically, they are not the intended audience, but in my
> experience you are required to consider them. It's naïve to
> think otherwise

It's a basic employment obligation. The employee owes the boss good work
and loyalty. For us, "good work" means producing usable, accurate
documentation for the target audience. We have plenty of room to take pride
in our work, but at the end of the day, the employers own the docs and can
paint them purple, if desired. (Sometimes it's a *good* thing that your
name is not left on a doc.) Think of it this way--Who owns your paycheque?
It's a trade.

A full-time job is a kind of service contract, and as with any service
contract, it doesn't hurt business to get good references. You do that by
satisfying your clients.

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at pixelink.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

It's only ones and zeroes, it's only ones and zeroes, it's ...

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com