RE: doc'ing the docs

Subject: RE: doc'ing the docs
From: Mike West <Mike -dot- West -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:24:50 +1100

"Gordon" writes:

> In my opinion, the negative impact of including it outweighs these
> benefits. It complicates the help system, it makes using the
> help seem
> harder, and most of the time it ignores the fact that in order for a
> user to find and read the content, they've already mastered the very
> steps being described.

I think this is dead wrong.

Not even many programmers that I work with are
aware of all the Help system facilities in the very
applications that we develop together.

Some of them were unaware (until I enlightened
them) only of contextual (F1) help links, and
had never realized that there was also a browseable
general reference component, complete with a hierarchical
TOC as well. Many of them were not aware of things like
browse sequences and "See Also" buttons that
provided users with a variety of useful access paths.
Some newer applications offer "What's This?" help links.
Few users know about this unless it is pointed out
to them. To assume that users "just know" what
facilities exist is to shirk our responsibilities as
helpers.

I can't imagine how including a topic on using
the Help "complicates" the help system. On the
contrary, it does exactly what a help system should
do: provide easy access to information that any
user might require.

--
Mike W
Melbourne