RE: A sobering encounter (So now what?)

Subject: RE: A sobering encounter (So now what?)
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:07:07 -0500

In a previous life, one of my customers was a local power and utility
company. My part was to microfilm all the maps that showed where gas and
power lines were buried. They were placed on aperture cards...tab cards with
a microfilm chip embedded that they would look at in a viewer. The reason
for the aperture card rather than a full size drawing was that it was easier
to place a small deck of cards in their shirt pocket and hang a viewer on
their belt than to drag 20 18" X 24" drawings up on the poles or under the
ground.

In a senses, these were technical documents on microfilm and I was always
looking for better ways of putting the information into their hands.

BTW...this was when laptops were still heavy enough to crush your legs and
before anyone had ever even heard of CD, let alone DVD

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
"Be accurate...the 4am wakeup call you prevent could be your manager's"

If there's actually a guy outside your office running a bulldozer, head out
at lunchtime and ask him if an operator's manual came with it when it was
purchased. The answer might be "Yes" or it might be "I don't really know,"
but I doubt the answer will be "Nope."

That group with the tangential interest in technical documentation is larger
than you suspect.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com