RE: Description of Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Description of Tech Writers
From: David Handy <david -dot- handy -at- automsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:42:53 -0000

My turn:
I am a tech writer living in Ireland.

At this moment I am sitting on a park bench, autumn
leaves floating by in the canal, with a kindly tourist --
one who promises to send to techwhr-l what I now
dictate as soon as she can tear herself away from the
deep blue pools of romantic tragedy that are my eyes
and find a cybercafé.

I produce my documentation on the back of beermats,
bus tickets, and unused pages from old school jotters
lying around the musty attic I share with my decrepit
nonagenarian grandmother, a wolfhound, and a
priceless old landscape painting we've mislaid
somewhere. My grandmother types up my work on an
old Remington while I ponder life's mysteries over pints
of porter in the local pub. Returning at night, I wring the
beerstains from the sleeves of my tweed coat into a
crystal jug and write a little more of my mold-breaking
first novel. Failing that, I go to sleep nursing the wounds
from whatever scrap I got into on the way home with
whomever impugned the dignity of the local football
team. I'm in no hurry to finish my novel, given that by
dint of my Irish birth I am a natural born writer and
bound to be a better scribe than the rest of ye, though
you are all welcome in my humble home anytime,
except when there's an R in the month. Now, if you'll
excuse me, I have to go and forge in the smithy of my
soul some as-yet uncreated Help files.

Note to kindly tourist: don't forget to omit all
punctuation from this before you send this.

dh
automsoft
(actually a suburban softy with a laptop and a lot of VB
to decode)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com