Word Autonumber (Redux)

Subject: Word Autonumber (Redux)
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:16:06 -0500

Ok, having spent most of the day in Macroland, AutocorrectWorld, and
TestingPlace, I came across (well, someone sent me the link) to the
discussion on
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=19b5101c130cd%24901b6d30%249ae
62ecf%40tkmsftngxa02&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26selm%3D19b5101c130cd%25
24901b6d30%25249ae62ecf%2540tkmsftngxa02
(long url - sorry).

Anyway, a piece of advice there was to set up Outline Number in Word2000
(the product that I'm using and that I forgot to mention). I set it up in my
template, and suddenly, easily, Autonumbering reset seems to work well.

Of course, if anyone has a history with this method, ***PLEASE*** provide
feedback.

The idea is basically this:

1. Be sure none of your formats have a built-in numbering scheme. Reset all
numbering schemes built in the format>bullets and numbering menu back to
their factory defaults, as well as all of the numbering schemes built within
styles. Be sure to check "apply to template" to strip these away from the
template as well.

2. Set up your styles to accomodate tabs and indents. Be sure to check
"apply to template" to fix the template

3. Now, apply the 1st numbered style to the appropriate place.

4. Go to format>style>modify>format>numbering. Select the "Outline
Numbering" tab and choose an appropriate outline scheme (it really doesn't
matter which you choose, since you can customize these formats to your
heart's content).

------->DO NOT CLICK OK UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED <-------

5. In the dialogue box, click on "more" at the right. The dialogue box
should expand so that at the left, you have a small combo box with a list of
numbers and at the bottom, you have several fields/drop-down menus.

6. Click on "1" in the combo box at the left

7. Customize the numbering scheme as you like it.

8. At the bottom, select the 1st numbering style from the drop down box.

9. Repeat for each level in the left-hand como box until you've linked all
your numbered styles to a level in the outline numbering scheme (continuing
to customize to you heart's content).

10. Type in a name at the bottom of the box - this seems to make the
autonumbering more stable.

11. Click OK

12. Click OK again

13. Check the "Apply to template" box.

14. Click apply and ok.

15. To save to the template, hold down the shift key and click on "File>Save
all."

16. Apply the numbering styles as you which. When you want to restart the
numbering, simply select format>bullets and number, and click the option to
"restart numbering"

So far, this is working extremely well - all the number is "fixed." in the
doc (and it's fairly long, almost unstable - yes, it's being split into
parts).

Now, let the comments fly!

Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA