Logo selection, a cautionary tale - extending Re: Font Selection Process

Subject: Logo selection, a cautionary tale - extending Re: Font Selection Process
From: "Gary Robinson" <GXR -at- ddpmi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:09:46 -0500

Cassandra Greer said:
"At one company I worked for, the fonts we were to use were chosen by the
company that created our Corporate Image."

That statement prompted some, not entirely pleasant, memories of a time when I was involved in a log selection process. I worked for a company which was changing its corporate identity. Our PR firm presented new logos as part of the process. One logo caught everyone's eye, including mine. It looked great in print and the company bought the logo and I started implementing it. That started nearly four years of difficulties of getting the logo to present effectively in the online documents we produced (mostly online help and web pages) and in other environments. In hindsight I should have noted that the 3-D sphere would never translate well to our promotional materials. All of our coffee mugs, pens, and other giveawayables all had to use a flat, 2-D cir
cle. Worse, the logo contained the large, red sphere (bug) combined with very small text (logotype). On a monitor it was difficult to downscale the logo so the sphere wasn't so dominating and still maintain the readability of the text. Even though the logo was very effective when printed on a page, it never worked well in other formats, especially electronic displays.

Gary G. Robinson
Technical Communications Consultant
Pillar Technology Group, LLC
currently assigned to Delta Dental Plan of Michigan

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com