Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: Re: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 11:52:32 -0800

Sean Brierley wrote:

But, both sides sorta need to know the lay of the land. If one takes a
job because one believes flex time is okay, when it is not, or because
you think it's a relaxed, family-oriented environment, when it's not,
then chances are both sides will suffer.

I think that your position on honesty is comparable to being an advocate of participatory democracy. It's hard to be against either in the abstract. However, in both cases,the problem is where to draw the line.

For example, in the case of participatory democracy, do most people want to be consulted about routine budget items, or the time that cabinet meetings are held?

Similarly, in the case of honesty in the interview, do you really want to be told about every policy and every intra-office feud at the company? Is there even time to do so, considering that you're probably one of at least half a dozen interviewees?

Also, don't forget that the interviewer may have a hard time knowing just what each interviewee is interested in. The expectation of regular over-time may be unacceptable to one interviewee, and exactly what another one is looking for. Moreover, if the interviewer has been at the company for a while, he or she may not think that a requirement to work regular over-time is extraordinary enough to be worth mentioning. In fact, if the interviewer thinks about the matter at all, the assumption may be made that you know or have deduced that expectation from your research on the company.

Personally, I'd have a hard time working with any company which deliberately mislead me, but I don't think that very many do. In fact, of the 25 or so companies I've had as clients or employers, only one did so. In the case of some of the others, I discovered things I wish I had known before, but I don't think that any of them deliberately mislead me. On the whole, I think that the omissions and mistakes were largely unintentional.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"To purchase a clear and warrantable body of truth, we must forget and part with much we know."
-Thomas Browne, "Pseudodoxia Epidemica"

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com