RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview

Subject: RE: Preparation for a phone screen interview
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:07:44 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, sbri -at- haestad -dot- com ("Sean Brierley") wrote:
> I understand.
> But, I still argue that for long-term engagements and full-time
> employment, honesty is one of the obligations.

...sure, once you're employed. But in an interview, I am under no
obligation to volunteer, frexample, "I oversleep quite often" or "I don't
suffer fools gladly, and if there's any idiots here, I can pretty much
guarantee that they and I will not get along".

> I can see how lying, or hiding the truth, not being honest, or not
> being obligated to be honest (however you prefer to put it) can work.
> And, I am not advocating you be rude or brutal in your honesty. Gentle
> is fine. But, both sides sorta need to know the lay of the land. If one
> takes a job because one believes flex time is okay, when it is not, or
> because you think it's a relaxed, family-oriented environment, when
> it's not, then chances are both sides will suffer.

Outright dishonesty is entirely another matter. If you ask "Is flex-time
OK?" and they say "Why, certainly!", and then you get hired and it's not-
well, I'm not sure how I'd react to that, but I know it'd probably involve
me restarting the job-hunting process, and possibly an employment lawyer.
But if you _didn't_ ask, specifically, "Is flex-time OK?", you then have
no reasonable expectation that flex-time is OK. If it's important, ask.
That's what the interview is for, for both sides.

> For example, if this is the case, "Because we let our clients abuse and
> infuriate our staff like no other company will," then that might be okay
> if the pay is good. But, why go through the expense of hiring someone if
> they are unhappy and turn around and leave?
> Am I so very far off-base here?

You're not, but think of it in terms of sales: when you're selling a used
car, do you say "Hate this car, bitch leaks a quart of oil every 200
miles, and the transmission is about shot?", or do you point out the new
tires, the recent timing chain & water pump, and the maintenance records,
and neglect to mention those other 'features' unless they ask?

An interview is a sales transaction where you're selling yourself.
You're certainly welcome to tell them that your personal transmission is
about shot, but I've discovered that I have more success in interviews
where I don't mention these things unless prompted, and even then attempt
to paint them in a better light. That's the way sales are made.

Now, once you get the job, it isn't a car that you're stuck with, it
evolves. You get abuse from the client, you tell your boss "This person is
really dumping in my Oaties, can you help?" and they say "Oh yeah, they do
that to everybody, that's why we always give them to the new guy. In
another month, we'll hire another new guy and then get him away from you".
Did they tell me in the interview "your first client will be insane"? No.
But I didn't ask, and it doesn't really matter all that much.

--
Huey

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com