RE: Perks

Subject: RE: Perks
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:23:01 -0600

Hey All,

Thought I'd throw in a thought here on this one.

<snip>
The difficult part is asking the real questions that you want to know,
and getting a truthful answer. If you ask, will I get the tools to do my
job, of course the answer is going to be "yes".

<unsnip>
I think that you can get a sense of whether you will get the tools or not
by asking the time-honored question of what tools are used there currently,
at least in a general sense. If the answer is Word 97 or Frame 5 or
something similar and they are wanting to do more Web-based work using SGML
or something, then you'll know that the answer would be "No." If, however,
they answer with something more current, then the answer could be a
qualified "Yes."

<snip>
If you ask, can I
expect to have cooperation and respect from my colleagues, the
answer will be "yes".

<unsnip>
Mayhaps a better way to ask this would be to NOT ask it. If possible,
observe the dynamics between the technical writing group and the
engineers/programmers/whatevers if you are taken on a tour. A few companies
have done that on my interviews, but, granted, not very many will offer a
tour during an interview.

Sam

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com