Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating system XP professional)

Subject: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating system XP professional)
From: dik -at- intermate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:38:11 +0100

About this posting:

I am cross-posting this desperate plea for help to Adobeforums (Acrobat
Windows forum) and Techwr-l, and ; in addition I am sending this letter
off-list to Dov Isaacs (- but not to "Frame Users")
If anyone has an answer, please send an off-list copy to dik -at- intermate -dot- com,
including information on where you have posted. I need a solution by Jan 16
(2003).

Problem:

When my PC was running the following configuration: Office 2000
Professional, the Word in Office 97, and Distiller 4.05, PDF bookmarks
were automatically produced. These bookmarks matched the selected headings
and styles in the Word file perfectly. If I remember correctly, I could
achieve this result with both methods: PDFMaker or print to prn and then
distill prn to pdf.

But I cannot generate PDF bookmarks from my current configuration, where
my PC is running XP Profession, Version 2002 , Word 2002 (also known as
Word 10), and Distiller 5.05.
XP has been updated with Service Pack 1 and just about everything else.

I have searched all the above - plus Microsoft's support and knowledge base
- for info on problems generating bookmarks from Word in a PDF. I had
already implemented all of the recommended settings and procedures in my
old configuration, and nothing has been changed in the current
configuration.

I accepted all tracked changes in the Word file and made sure that the view
for tracked changes is "Final": the additional choices are Final Showing
Markup, Original, Original Showing Markup. No luck.

I tried re-installing PDF Maker. Then I adjusted all my distiller settings
according to the recipe provided by "Sean" in the topic "Setting Up Acrobat
5/Distiller 5", posted to Adobeforums on June 21, 2002 (both parts).
Neither of these actions helped.

The last bit of information: I have had no problems generating PDF
bookmarks from FrameMaker 6 files with the current configuration (XP, Word
10 & Distiller 5.05), and the old configuration also worked perfectly.

Dian Kjærgaard - Technical Editor and Writer
Intermate A/S, Denmark
Fax: +45 72 26 04 04
E-mail: dik -at- intermate -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com