Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)

Subject: Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)
From: dik -at- intermate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:05:39 -0700

"Robin" from Denmark replied off-list to my plea for help. He or she
didn't have an answer, but pointed out that the problem description lacked
som important info. Here is my attempt to give this info:

You're right, Robin, I didn't state clearly that I have Acrobat, which was
deliberately installed after Word, so the special menu functions were
automatically installed in Word by Acrobat. The same was true of my old
setup. The only system changes involved when upgrading were:
Windows 2000 -> Windows XP; Word 8 (from Office 97) -> Word 10 / 2002
(from Office XP), and Acrobat 4.05 -> Acrobat 5.05.

I did some more experiments last night and found that my old setup only
produced bookmarks when I used Word's "PDFMaker"; printing to prn/ps and
then to pdf made a PDF file without bookmarks (sorry for the
misinformation in my plea for help). So, I am narrowing the problem down
to something that is blocking PDFMaker from functioning in the new setup,
even though all the Acrobat functions are integrated in Word.

The problem may be in the Word file in question which I "inherited" from a
succession of people who had filled it with all kinds of weird formats and
macros. I didn't really think about this because I had drastically cleaned
up this file, and it didn't crash PDFMaker in the old sysem setup. A copy
of this relatively clean Word file is the basis of the manual revision I
am working on and which is crashing PDF Maker. Someone in some group said
that copying just the contents of a Word file to a fresh new file might
solve such problems. So I'm going to try it in a couple of hours and will
report on the results.

Dian Kjaergaard

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com