RE: Deadlines

Subject: RE: Deadlines
From: "Donald H. White" <whitedh -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:57:14 -0500

Tom Storer wrote:

>>My own methods of meeting deadlines include: keeping
the dates posted on the wall next to my computer;
getting a clear vision in my head of the stages I have
to go through to finish the task, and foreseeing any
obstacles to each stage; reading the scores of emails
we receive on project planning carefully and asking
any questions I have *promptly*; setting priorities
for multiple tasks and alerting my manager if one
deadline is threatened when another task's urgency is
upgraded (in other words: rather than miss a deadline, renegotiate it in a
timely fashion).<<

Absolutely agree. The most important thing to do is to keep your manager
(project tech lead, whomever) up-to-date on your progress.

I don't remember missing a deadline; I remember the development teams
slipping their delivery dates as they changed or added bells-n-whistles as
well as thingamabobs to the product. All changes, of course, forced
modifications to the concepts of operations, requirements, and design
specifications documents as new needs or functions were 'discovered.' Every
change to a line of code causes changes to multiple documents.

At least, in most cases...

Don White
804.795.2914
whitedh -at- attbi -dot- com