RE: First Jobs that Grow into Careers as Technical Writers

Subject: RE: First Jobs that Grow into Careers as Technical Writers
From: "Sean Wheller" <swheller -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 14:01:18 +1100

Hello John,

Assuming you are set on being a Technical Writer and nothing else. Here are
some pointers.

Experience.
The Ph.D is not worth much if you don't have experience. Yes it's the age
old chicken and the egg story. Which comes first? The chicken or the egg?

You may have proven yourself as an academic in philosophy, instructor or
trainer, but have you written a manual? This is your first barrier to entry.
To gain experience I suggest you visit sourceforge (http://www.sf.net).
There are many open source projects in need of contributions by Document
Writers. Writing a manual for one of them will give you some experience. At
least enough to show that you can do this, have done this before. You should
aim to develop a manual that you are proud to show, as a work sample, to
prospective employers.

Job Titles.
There are many non-deplumes to the title Technical Writer. Here are a few:
Technical Author, Technical Communicator, Document Developer, Publications
Architect.

As people progress in the career, the titles change:
Senior Technical Writer, Senior Technical Author, Senior Technical
Communicator, Senior ...

Then there's the managers:
Technical Documentation Manager, Manager Technical Publications, Manager
Customer Information Services etc.

As an entry level, I think you will more than likely obtain the title
"Technical Writer".

Knowledge.
It is vital that you understand more than just the skills needed by a
Technical Writer. You must also understand topics such as:
* Information Life-cycle, document Life-cycle, product life-cycle
* Document design, document development process, document management
* Information design, take a good look at i-map. Seems like common sense,
but many of the principle will help.
* Clear, concise communication techniques, attention to detail, detail,
detail.
* Tools, many of them. NOT just Word Processors, DTP or Graphic packages.
Development, Management and Databases tools are also a must.
* Programming languages, the more you know the better it will be.
* Skills with people, you're sunk if you don't have them.

... and the list goes on. What I am saying is that being a Technical Writer
is, contrary to popular belief, a highly skilled scientific art.

Still not afraid? Then you are welcome. If you need mentoring, then you have
already come to the right place. If you want to communicate with, me
off-list, regarding your manual please do.

Sean Wheller
swheller -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au
XWriter

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com