RE: The Lone Writer

Subject: RE: The Lone Writer
From: "Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:29:52 +1100

Okay Kim,

John is kind of correct in his statements, but he also has obviously been
doing this for a while (the rumours about him editing Moses are, I believe,
still only rumours...)

You ask four questions....

1)How do you manage your workload and projects?

You do as much as you can, and try and snuggle up to project managers so you
can gauge future requirements and expectations - also so you can manage
future requirements and expectations. You need to educate the project
managers that your involvement requires as much planning as anyone else on
their team, and in fact more, because as the LONE technical writer you are
likely to be across multiple projects and your time will be divided (yes I
am practically a lone writer....and I only support about...hmmm..5 projects
at the moment....with all levels of documentation....)

I also try and put up a "page" on my workstation wall of each document I am
doing that shows, the version state (draft 1, 2, 3, Release 1...), the
current state of completeness of work (70%, 80%), the date that information
went up, the review and deadline dates. These are handy for you, and for
those complacent project managers who wander over and think you are doing
nothing - as you are not working on their project - just point to the
workstation wall to show them you are busy - is a good shock to their system
to realise that they will have to plan with you, so that you can fit their
work in!!

2) How do you evaluate your work to identify where you need to improve?

Listen to feedback, and look at your old work after it is finished. Take an
hour or tow to review it - making notes to your self about a) structure
b)usability [this word is not to be mentioned near project managers or line
managers as useability to them means money they don't want to spend!!!!]
c)comprehension (does it make sense, could a user understand it...really!)
and d) how may rewrites did you do and why.

You will gain enough from that to develop....trust me!

3) What about training and career development? My new manager doesn't really
know a thing about documentation.

They usually don't. If they give you a project that needs training on a new
tool, that is when you may manage to get training. Otherwise you may have to
pay for it yourself and if lucky get them to reimburse - or try and get it
back on taxes as business/career related education....

for career education.....well, just volunteer.....it means more work, but it
is one way of getting the experience...

4) Is there anything I can read that address issues faced by solo writers?

The issues of solo writers are not that different from teams of writers, as
regards management. Regarding work, use this forum and others when you hit a
hole - but first see if you can beat the problem yourself. The great bonus
from being a lone technical writer is when you get it right -you know YOU
got it right. Great confidence builder.

5) What should I do when things don't go right?

Okay you didn't ask this question. If you have been doing the four things
above, been networking with the folks in office, and getting work done on
time, they will support you. Just have a coffee, sit down and relax; and
think of how to solve the issue/problem, not ohmigod I have a problem.
Solutions are better received than problems.

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au

Project Manager/Technical Writer.

~Successfully finishing with Ericsson on the 2nd of May, 2003~

(61) (03) 9301-1695

EAA/N,
Melbourne Central, Level 41.08,
360 Elizabeth Street