RE: Deadlines

Subject: RE: Deadlines
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:23:58 -0500

>Deadlines are my friend. They let me know exactly what's expected of me,
>and also let me know when I'll be free to start the next project.

I met with my boss and the company CTO on Friday to outline this new
assignment. The CTO explained all kinds of stuff, backgrounds, requirements,
suggesttions, etc. What he missed, which was my first question, was "What is
the timeframe to have it delivered?." His response was I don't want to rush
you, just get it right. I told him that he probably has a step that follows
receiving documentation, so I simply needed to know at what point he was
expecting it...if I need more time, I'd then come to him, but what is the
preliminary requirement.

The time frame defines the depth of the project.

I mean, how do you work on something, not knowing if you have a week, 1
month, 2 months, or 3 years

John Posada

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com