Re: Questions about your autonumbering scheme

Subject: Re: Questions about your autonumbering scheme
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:06:58 -0800

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

> A month or so back, you sent me the information below about taming word's
> autonumbering. I temporarily fixed the problem using linked outline
> numbering, but wanted a more stable solution. Yours seems to be the best
> thus far. Could you explain a little more about how to set this up?
>
> Specifically, I'm not sure where the SEQ fields are supposed to be stored...

The SEQ fields simply go where you'd normally place a number in your list. For example, instead of writing this:

1. as dfa sdf
a. ads fa sdf
b. as dfasd fas df
2. asd fasd fasdf

...you'd write this:

{ SEQ numlist \# "0" \r 1 \* MERGEFORMAT }. as dfa sdf
{ SEQ ltrlist \* alphabetic \r 1 \* MERGEFORMAT }. ads fa sdf
{ SEQ ltrlist \* alphabetic \n \* MERGEFORMAT }. as dfasd fas df
{ SEQ numlist \# "0" \n \* MERGEFORMAT }. asd fasd fasdf

Remember that you don't actually type the brackets--you type the contents, like this:

SEQ numlist \# "0" \r 1 \* MERGEFORMAT

...then select the whole string and press Ctrl+F9 to make a field.

Do that *once* for each of the four fields, then put each in a uniquely named AutoText entry so you don't have to create the same fields over and over.

To be clear, once you've done all this you don't use autonumbering at all. You set up paragraph styles that are properly indented, as described in my earlier message.

Hope that helps.

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com