Re: using a slogan on a resume

Subject: Re: using a slogan on a resume
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:18:24 -0700

> > Has anybody else tried this approach?
>
> At the top of my resume is the following quotation:
>
> "Mark L. Levinson ... seems effortlessly to impart exuberance,
> verbal elegance, and intelligence to any subject he touches."
> - Haim Chertok, writing in Ariel Quarterly

Wow - you really put that on your resume? I know you work in Israel - in
America I think that would be interpreted as a lot of hubris to lead off a
resume with. But from reading your posts over the months, you're obviously
an experienced and skilled pro - so I guess I can't argue with success.

If I saw that on a resume I was screening, it would put me on the
defensive, wondering whether the writer's ego might be a little large for
the building. But if the rest of the resume looked like a fit, I might
call him for a preliminary phone interview, during which I'd be listening
carefully for signs of an overbearing personality.

I mean you NO offense - as I said, I've come to respect your knowledge and
insights through your posts. I just think it might be a matter of location
- I wonder if that approach would translate well in the western market.

Keith Cronin
We are all as old as we are. Linear time being what it is, age doesn't
matter unless you're dairy.
- Mark Schlipper

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com