RE: using a slogan on a resume

Subject: RE: using a slogan on a resume
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:30:54 -0700

Sella groaned:

> Ugh. Does anyone really include an objective anymore? And if so, what's =
> a good reason? From my perspective, I can't imagine using up space =
> (especially at the very beginning!) that I could use for info about my =
> background. I suppose I've replaced the objective (which I've always =
> avoided because I hated writing them!) with a title (which goes up with =
> my name and doesn't take away any vertical space.

Yes, I still do, although I understand your reluctance to do so - they can
be pretty cheesy. Or they can help a screener identify whether you're a
fit, if you load it with enough beef.

I had a college professor pound it into my head that they ARE useful, and
my resumes have gotten me interviews, so I stick with keeping that section
in, partly out of superstition. But I agree that substituting a summary of
qualifications is as good or better.

The thing my professor stressed was to make it a two-part objective: one
part shows what you want to do NOW (which just happens to coincide with
the stated requirements of the job you're targeting), and the second part
shows what you want to do in the FUTURE, which my professor said shows
your ambition and desire for growth. Like I said, it works for me. But I
worked hard on mine to eliminate any potential dairy factor. <g>

Keith Cronin
Beer good.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com