Re: Another Resume Question

Subject: Re: Another Resume Question
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:10:48 -0500

Maybe not every company, but you should probably have 3-5 relevant entries
(don't be afraid to change them out based on the description of the job
you're applying for).

I would do something like:

SWS, Inc
OfficeWorker/Contractor
SomeMonth 2000 to present
-Provided typing and filing services to the company.
-As a contractor:
-Wrote a bunch of stuff for Great Job 1.
-Wrote more stuff from Great Job 2.
- et cetera.

Of course, if you could work in some benefits that your writing did for
Great Jobs 1 and 2, that would be even better.

I would also use this job as a example of versatility and flexibility. Take
the time to come up with reasons that it helped you - did you become more
deadline oriented? Did you have to learn to learn new systems or software
quickly? What about intrapersonal skills?

I would compile a list of every company you've "contracted" for, with the
duties you performed at that job. Include it in your portfolio with samples.

HTH!
Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk