RE: small invoices, big egos

Subject: RE: small invoices, big egos
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:23:44 -0500

No.

1) The time you spend handling his cranky(ness) will drain time, resources,
and energy from good customers.
2) The profit margin on small projects is less since certain "costs" of the
job are constant regardless of whether it is big or small. Example...an
invoice costs the same regardless of the $$ on the bottom.
3) Small projects have small margins, leaving very little wiggle-room if you
underestimate time or effort.
4) Likewise, slow payment costs you money. There's a reason why bankers and
accountants jump for glee when you reduce your AR average float even by one
day.
5) I never smile when someone calls me incompetent, ESPECIALLY when
undeserved.

I was in sales for a number of years. I dropped clients like this, which
cost me commission. Why am I going to pay someone $200 for them now?

Consider this... What if some agent offered you the following
deal:

"For a fee of $200, I will introduce you to a small-business
client who will occasionally hire you for small projects. He is
a little cranky, and he pays slow, but he will be a reliable
long-term client. All you have to do is tolerate long delays in
payment, and smile when he calls you incompetent."

Would you pay the $200?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com