RE: The Lone Writer

Subject: RE: The Lone Writer
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:49:40 -0500

Hi, Kim.

I am the lone writer at my gig. I wouldn't have it any other way. My
thoughts, in no particular order:

Don't worry about HOW to evaluate yourself. Management already did. You're
still there and they're not.

I think you are concerned about the wrong stuff. The stuff that SHOULD
concern you is how to produce the good stuff. They let your boss go because
they (upstairs) don't care about administrative stuff...they care about
reading stuff. Therefore, if you start worrying about formal Professional
Development and the like, you'll be out too.

How do I handle professional development? I take on projects I know little
about and learn about them as I go. Example: I could have planned for
learning SQL Database Replication...or as I am now, start firing 100
questions a day at a team of Database Administrators.

Managing workload...do as much as you can, take on 5% more, and say no to
everything else. Don't let the pile panic you...whether you had a plan or
not, you'd still start with the most important item in the pile first...only
you can figure out what item is, then do it first.

What to read? You're reading it. The list. Now, start firing
well-thought-out questions at it.

Advice? Never let them see you sweat.

Kim...I'll let you in on the biggest secret anyone in this business has, and
they're killing themselves to hide it....the secret?

"We're all making this up as we go along"

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372

=====================
Hello:

My company just laid off a third of its staff. Those lay-offs included my
manager and the two other writers. I am now the lone tech writer and I am
still in shock and a little frightened. This is a new experience for me and
I have no idea where to start. Are there any other solo writers out there??

How do you manage your workload and projects?

How do you evaluate your work to identify where you need to improve?

What about training and career development? My new manager doesn't really
know a thing about documentation.

Is there anything I can read that address issues faced by solo writers?

Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com