RE: Screen-text sample-code

Subject: RE: Screen-text sample-code
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:49:31 -0600

WARNING: Font-fiddling content below...

Kevin,

Since I can't see a sample of the code, nor do you mention which mono-spaced
font you are using, I can only offer a few "guess-timates" on what to try:

1. Use a smaller font size, but increase the tracking (or inter-character
spacing). Note that changing the tracking is different than changing the
stretch (in FrameMaker). Decreasing the point size but increasing (barely)
the tracking might help things fit while maintaining legibility.

2. Is the code sample absolutely necessary at that place? In other words,
are you sooooo eloquent that you can relegate the code sample to an
Appendix? Then you could rotate the code samples to a landscape page.

3. Is a mono-spaced font a requirement? How about a nicely designed
sans-serif font? You could use <gasp> Arial Narrow with (again) an increased
tracking level.

4. Type or C-n-P the code in a good text editor (I love UltraEdit), and then
take a screen shot. Then use PhotoShop to re-size (but don't resample) the
screen shot to fit the page. You could even place a computer-monitor-looking
border around it for "visual interest" ("visual interest" = the executive's
'shiny object')

Just some thoughts.

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from
vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com