Re: Questions in the Field.

Subject: Re: Questions in the Field.
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:43:20 -0500

--On Monday, January 27, 2003 9:11 PM -0500 Kevin McLauchlan <kevinmcl -at- magma -dot- ca> wrote:

On Monday 27 January 2003 17:27, gallantfoxman -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

[...]
PLEASE CONTACT ME
DIRECTLY AT MY E-MAIL ADDRESS
(gallantfoxman -at- hotmail -dot- com) INSTEAD OF POSTING
A MESSAGE ON THE MESSAGE BOARD.

1. Where is the market at for technical writers
(magazines, books, internet, etc.) What do
publications pay for an article?

and other questions showing that he has only
the faintest clue...

My question is, don't universities provide official
student e-mail addresses, these days. When I
see a request like that with a hotmail address,
I immediately think it must be somebody trolling
for valid e-mail addresses. Respond at your peril.

:-) Once upon a time, not so very long ago, all colleges provided email addresses to their students, and the students used them, and didn't have eight or nine other non-college email addresses. However, in the world outside of universities and colleges, students in high school (and middle school/jr. high school/elementary school, etc.) were fiddling around with computers, too. Their parents were also using computers, and often they got accounts from AOL or hotmail. Universities and colleges have learned over the past several years that it's extremely difficult to wean these students away from their beloved AOL/hotmail/yahoo/etc. addresses and onto university ones, even if it means that the students can't access all the university's resources. This is something that I deal with on a daily basis at work, as I work at a university. Professors complain that their students don't answer mail sent to an official university address. The courseware system has them registered under a different account than the one they're trying to use. Students want to use library-accessible resources like Lexis-Nexis, and it doesn't recognize them as being from the university. We now have VPN clients to fix some of the problems, push mail forwarding and use of the university account for others, and other various solutions. I have three students who work for me. When I go to hire a student, probably 75% of the applicants are using a non-university address, and yet every single applicant has one. In fact, you might be interested to know that some schools have eliminated dial-up access to students. This means that a commuter has no university-sponsored access, and less incentive to use an account from the university as his ISP is also giving him an account. It doesn't surprise me at all that a question like this came from a non-university/college account.

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com