Installing Word 2000 under XP with Office 2002 already installed

Subject: Installing Word 2000 under XP with Office 2002 already installed
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:05:04 +1000

Mike Altman asked,

My RoboHelp works with Word 2000, is there anyway I can install Word 2000 to
live side by side with Office 2002 on my XP system?

You can have both versions of Word working on your machine, but I believe the installation works better if you put the older version on first, then the newer version. So if you already have Word2000 there, then installing Office XP (Word 2002) should be no problem. It certainly wasn't for me, although I'm running WinME not WinXP.

During installation of OfficeXP, be sure to select the Custom Installation option and, when prompted, change the installation location to a different folder from the one suggested, so it is not the location of the older version of Office. Then, when prompted, select the option to keep all previous versions of Office on the computer.

All start menu shortcuts for the earlier version of the Office programs will be overwritten by the shortcuts for Office XP, but you can manually add new shortcuts for the earlier version. And if you're in the habit of starting up Word by double-clicking on a document icon, then you may have problems, because it will start in Word2002. I always start Word first, then open the document within it, so I don't have that problem.

I don't know if you'll have to do anything to keep RoboHelp happy (whether it will get confused), because I don't use that program.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/