Freelancing - advice needed

Subject: Freelancing - advice needed
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:41:48 -0000

For some time now I've been thinking of going freelance but never quite built up the impetus to take the final step. Now it looks likely that it may be forced as the company is currently restructuring (downsizing!) and a new exec chairman has been brought in.

On the bright side there is a lot of documentation needed (we have no physical product so the collateral is all that they have to show to customers) and there's a good chance that the work will be outsourced to me (not relying on it though) which, if it happens, will provide a good buffer to get myself up and running. Looking round NI I've found only one TW company so there could be a good market out there.

My question is really on the marketing side. What have you found to be the best approach when going to companies cold:
phone? Contact development manager etc, ask about their documentation etc
flyer? The 'does your docs suck?' approach - they CAN be improved,,,
letter? Similar to phone but by letter stating services provided etc
other?

While doing some research for a college project a survey I did had a question that asked could their documentation be improved by being professionally written/edited. Quite a few answered 'Yes' so I have a few possibly 'not so cold' leads that I'd like to get right.

All advice/comments welcome.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.