Re: high cost of print cartridges

Subject: Re: high cost of print cartridges
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:25:42 -0500

Gary Robinson wrote:

Hi,

I have an account with Quill and usually buy cartridges on sale in lots of 3. This usually decreases the cost by about 30%. I receive catalogs from Office Max, Staples and Viking also. Someone else suggested getting a laserjet for b&w work. I have a 6 y/o HP Laserjet 5L that is getting a little cranky but has performed well for years. The toner cartridge runs about $65 but I seldom need to change it more than once a year. Of course, I don't do big time production work at home.

My last production inkjet printer was the HP1220c. Working in high production, several hundred pages a week, I would have to change the cartridges (1 b&w, 1 color) weekly. This is a very good and very durable printer but it does run about $400.

Wouldn't a color laser be a better investment and result in lower long term cost, once your weekly output reaches a point where your cost of cartridges exceeds your cost for a laser?

I figure this way: Cost of a laser between $800 and $1,900, depending on your needs. Amortize over four years is approximately $233 - $633 per year, plus the cost of the laser cartridges used per year. Note a laser will print substantially more pages than an ink cartridge. Plus a laser is a lot faster. The drawbacks are that you don't get near photo quality and the largest size page, at least in that price range, is 11 x 14.

Peter

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com