RE: high cost of print cartridges

Subject: RE: high cost of print cartridges
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:02:30 -0700

Not trying to scare anyone ... but I doubt most of you know what comes out
of these machines (laser printers). And if you knew what it does to your
lungs over time - you'd be thinking twice too - about using one in a SOHO
(or at least in the same room).

A typical laser printer will off-gas ozone, carbon dust, and VOC's
(solvents), etc. This is why they must be properly vented, or (down the
road) you could risk ending up with shortness of breath, hypersensitivity to
certain allergens ... or worse yet - after long-term use - asthma. Also, any
device that comes with a MSDS (which laser printers are required by law to
do) isn't necessarily a good thing to be constantly exposed to.

But that is again relative to the amount that you use it. If you use your
printer infrequently, I wouldn't worry. Personally, I had at one time,
thought of buying a laser printer myself. They have dropped a considerable
amount in both, initial cost, and cost of cartage replacement.
Unfortunately, I can't vent one to the outside, and it would be in the same
room as I work in. So I have to stay with an ink-jet. I'll stick to the
good-old-fashion ink-jet printer, and do the final print on someone else's
laser-printer!

Bruce

Peter wrote:

<snip>
> Wouldn't a color laser be a better investment and result in lower long
> term cost, once your weekly output reaches a point where your cost of
> cartridges exceeds your cost for a laser?
<snip>

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com