using "field"

Subject: using "field"
From: Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:49:21 -0500

Hi,

I was interested in the comments yesterday about
the word "field." I understand that
the original question related to
writing for a web page.

I write the Administrator's Manual, User Manuals,
Security Manual and other documents for
a software application used in the retail industry.
I use the word "field" quite often.
Are people suggesting that this is
old-fashioned and inappropriate? I must
admit I don't love the word "field".
But of course
I can't always replace it with "text box" as
suggested in some of yesterday's postings.
There are also many numeric fields.

For example, assume the doc says:

"<productname> uses this field
to determine if the year-end should be moved
forward when ....."

It could be changed to say

"<productname> uses your entry here to
determine if the year-end should be moved
forward when ...."

The latter implies that the user should always
make an entry here, whereas usually the
user just leaves the default provided.

So I have found "field" very convenient (and
short). But should I move away from it?

Thanks for your ideas.

- Emily in Ann Arbor

single-source layouts, and more!