RE: using "field"

Subject: RE: using "field"
From: Alan Bucher <bucherino -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:53:59 -0800 (PST)

Eisbruchs -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
>I use the word "field" quite often.
>Are people suggesting that this is
>old-fashioned and inappropriate? I must
>admit I don't love the word "field".

Few do. Let's just say that there are better and more common
alternatives that are more clear to a newbie without being confusing
to an experienced user.

>But of course
>I can't always replace it with "text box" as
>suggested in some of yesterday's postings.
>There are also many numeric fields.

Why not? Numbers are text, too.

>For example, assume the doc says:
>
>"<productname> uses this field
>to determine if the year-end should be moved
>forward when ....."
>
>It could be changed to say
>
>"<productname> uses your entry here to
>determine if the year-end should be moved
>forward when ...."

I would just say "<productname> uses this value to...." (Actually,
I'd probably rephrase it to something like "This value determines
if..." but that's just me.)

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com