RE: XML DTD and XSLs for ISO-9000

Subject: RE: XML DTD and XSLs for ISO-9000
From: "Sean Wheller" <swheller -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:03:22 +1100

> At 10:03 AM +1100 2/6/03, Sean Wheller wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've searched the list and the net to find an XML DTD and XSL
> for Authoring
> >of ISO-9000 Quality Manuals and Protocols, but found nothing.
> >
> >Does anyone know if an XML DTD and XSLs exists for this purpose?
> >
> >Sean Wheller
>
> ISO-9000 does not address the format of documentation. It only
> address its existence.
>
> There were some ISO initiatives toward specifications and such, but I
> don't know if they ever saw the light of day.
>
> Look to your industry to find DTDs, or at DocBook.
> http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/
>
> Scott Turner

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am aware that ISO does not address the
format of documentation. However, I was hoping that some kind sole may have
used XML as the basis for developing ISO documents. Thereby, either knowing
of a DTD, or has created a DTD and XSL for this purpose. High hopes perhaps,
but I think that if there is a standard out there, then I would prefer to
follow it.

I already use DocBook XML DTD for other documents, but there are certain ISO
specific parts that the DocBook element vocabulary does not address.
However, modifying DocBook will mean that it is no longer DocBook. I think
the result would be ISO-XML. Anyway, I was already thinking to use DocBook
as the basis, a starting point for development of an ISO-XML DTD. Maybe this
could be an extension/subset app to DocBook like Website and Slides.

This route would be better that building a DTD and XSLs from scratch.

Any other input/ideas welcomed.

Sean Wheller

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com