Re: ADMIN: Don't start down this road

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Don't start down this road
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:11:05 -0500

I think it's less about agendas and accusatory/defensive postures than it is about understanding we're all human, and giving people a little consideration that sometimes, yes, we do get emotional about things that have happened, and maybe don't choose our words carefully enough in every situation. We seem to make a lot of assumptions about people based on their posts, and I'd wager that most of those assumptions are wildly incorrect. The world climate is such that we need to cut each other some slack and be more inclusive rather than divisive.

Sometimes we can't "just stay out of it"; yet fearing that what we say will be misinterpreted keeps many intelligent, thoughtful people from offering valuable commentary. If we cannot, somewhere, discuss multinational issues, then how can we ever reach a mutual understanding? The very things we abhor - racism, xenophobia - will continue.

Eric is right to pre-empt any discussion that is not acceptable on this list. I agree with Mike that the door was slammed shut with perhaps more intensity than was necessary to achieve the end. But I don't see any sinister motivation in what any of the participants have said.
--Beth

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication