RE: High cost of print cartridges? (take II)

Subject: RE: High cost of print cartridges? (take II)
From: "Girardot, David" <David -dot- Girardot -at- dendrite -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:18:48 -0500

Decker F Godfrey III [mailto:dfgodfrey -at- milmanco -dot- com] wrote:

> If you're interested in printing with Linux, check out linuxprinting.org.

I'll definitely second that motion! Whenever considering a new printer
purchase since I got burned by a winprinter a few years ago I always go to
linuxprinting.org first to make sure the printer is compatible with linux.
In general, if a printer will work with linux chances are it will work with
just about anything. In addition to linux capability I also look for native
emulation of HP Laserjet II or III.

For a cheap but good laser, check out the Brother HL-1240 or HL-1440. Both
can be had for under $300, support 600 DPI, very fast print speeds (14+ PPM)
and work with both parallel and USB. I've been using a model HL-1240 for
more than two years now. Toner cost is about $60 for the high-yield
cartridge if you shop around. The more expensive HL-1440 model has more
memory and is memory upgradeable. For most purposes, the HL-1240 is nice
but I've noticed that printing graphics-rich pages in 600 DPI sometimes
overloads the onboard memory (in which case it drops it down to 300DPI).
One nice feature this printer has is quick startup from standby: when you
send it a job it powers itself on, prints the job, and powers down again
very quickly.

If you do a lot of volume and/or need color capability you might want to
check out the deal at Xerox. Basically you get a free color laser printer
in exchange for ink. I personally haven't used the service but have read
reports of those that have and liked it. http://www.freecolorprinters.com/

-- David

------
David M. Girardot * Sr. Technical Writer
Learning & Collaborative Services
Dendrite International
Email: david -dot- girardot -at- dendrite -dot- com

All opinions expressed by me in this message are my own.

the system manager.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com