Simple crack of Word protected files: RTF

Subject: Simple crack of Word protected files: RTF
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve_schwarzman -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 16:55:22 -0600

Hi, all.

We got some Word files from a customer that were password-protected, which meant we couldn't search for text in them. Since these are long, legal docs, that was a problem if, say, we wanted to search for all references to a particular subject scattered around.

The archives have recommendations on how to unprotect a protected Word doc when you don't have the password. These included using shareware or PDF, but I experimented and found that RTF also works. Saving as RTF, closing, then opening allowed me to unprotect the document without the password. RTF also maintains most formatting.

Perhaps you knew this, but I thought I'd post so this will be in the archives the next time someone needs this.

Steve Schwarzman

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com