RE: clarity of terminology can save lives

Subject: RE: clarity of terminology can save lives
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:22:47 -0500

[...]
> Using your analogy together with the ANSI rating - sticking a
> fork in a wall
> socket, and working on 'live wires' - two deadly tasks that
> should not be
> classified differently in terms of safety - can be painted
> different shades
> of the same grey within the ANSI classification system.
> Especially when the
> inappropriate use of 'warning' could give a false sense of
> security. The
> real danger starts to unfold when a writer decides to use
> 'warning', when in
> fact 'danger' would have better reflected the risks at hand.

A situation that might be familiar to (at least) some of
the people on this list is:

Marketing reviewer spies "Danger" in document, and furiously
crosses it out, remarking that we are to avoid any hint or
suggestion that our glorious product could possibly be
anything but benign.

Not naming any names... :-)

/kevin

single-source layouts, and more!