RE: Speaking of cookbooks...

Subject: RE: Speaking of cookbooks...
From: "Sue Ahrenhold" <SAhrenhold -at- IpdSolution -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:43:11 -0500

>>You may already know Cooks, but if not: Cooks is a bimonthly magazine
>>that has spun off a TV show (America's Test Kitchen) and a bunch of
>>cookbooks, including the recent "Best Recipe" series. There's one big
>>general volume called "The Best Recipe," and some slightly smaller
>>volumes devoted to pasta, Italian food, "American classics," soups, etc.

Sounds like you should be looking for old James Beard cookbooks, this is how he writes.
I have lots of little cards containing notes about my own experiences with his recipes stuck in the book.

>>>Lots of information on techniques, equipment, ingredients...
>>>It's a little ironic that I love their cookbooks so much, because in
>>>documentation I lean toward the "just tell 'em how to do the task"
>>>approach.

But some of the best computer books I've ever read are of this variety as well. I have some of the just do this, then this -- but when I buy an expensive book for my bookshelf, I want it to contain information about the background of the system I'm working on, why the feature is organized the way it is, how it fits into the overall world of computers -- not that there are enough of these, but the ones I have are cherished.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com